Search This Blog

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Zelda Question and Answers

Am I in favor of Motion Controls? On this I’m not sure where to stand. I have always loved traditional controls however the motion in Skyward Sword is well done, with a few exceptions (such as the pointer). There is certainly some advantage in having motion, such as enemy AI is further expanded and battles are more strategic, however I still find traditional controls to be a tad bit better. I’m not saying I don’t want more motion controls in Zelda, but maybe switch-off game to game just like the art style. Realistic Zelda games could have traditional control while exaggerated has motion controls.

Am I in favor of voice acting? I definitely don’t want Link to talk, and everyone else is probably better off silent too rather than something cheesy. I do wish that there would be a bit less text however.

Which style is better? A few Dense areas that are revisited or many sparse areas that are seen once? One thing I hate about Twilight Princess is how large Hyrule Field, Gerudo Desert, and Lake Hylia are. You constantly must roll across the terrain towards your location. Now in Skyward Sword, there is no barren land, no unimportant corners, nothing. And yes you have to revisit most locations three times, but the land varies and the game is so long you will have forgotten the location by the time you revisit it. Densely packed areas that are revisited is better than more barren areas that are boring and barren.

Which art is better? Realistic or Exaggerated? It’s nice to see both but exaggerated impressionist art styles such as Skyward Sword don’t age as much. I think that exaggerated art styles and cel-shaded better depict Hyrule and its surrounding areas. That’s why I put my vote towards fantasy art styles like Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

How long does the game last? For a hardcore player with Zelda experience, the main quest will last around 25-30 hours, but with sidequests maybe an additional 5 hours. For less-experienced players the game should last around 50 hours. Keep in mind that there is a second quest which doubles the total gameplay.

Is it the best Zelda yet? For that answer, check back later for my top Zelda games feature which will name the best Zelda game of all time!
Please Note: My other articles have been delayed and will be posted later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment