Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

10 NES Ambassador Game Reviews

 Now that the ten free NES games have been released as free ambassador games on the Nintendo 3DS, I've had a chance to play a good deal in each of them. Some of them I've enjoyed very much, while others have let me down quite a bit. Below I will be briefly discussing all ten of the games and my thoughts on each. Also at the bottom is a chart with all ten games and their corresponding review scores. So let's get going and find out more about these ten classic games.

Super Mario Bros.              9.0
It's Super Mario Bros, so there's not much to say. But if there is, its that after so many re-releases over the past 25 years, that this game is still fun as it ever was. My only problems is that the controls didn't feel as solid as they used to be, and that it just doesn't feel like you're still playing the same game. It feels, not as good if you will. Nonetheless it's a great game and a great download to launch the Ambassador Program.

The Legend of Zelda          8.5
I'll be honest, I've never really liked a 2-D Zelda game, and the same can be said for the original. I've never gotten into it and whenever I play it I get lost over and over again. I will say that the game has excellent graphics and soundtrack and that it has all the same elements as the modern Zelda's have today. Maybe one day I'll actually beat the game.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link        7.0
To me, this is the worst Zelda game ever, and truthfully I can't even make it three feet without getting a game over and restarting the entire game over. Maybe I just don't get the game, but I have a hard time believing that anyone's ever beat this game. I can't really reccommend this game except for the fact that it has brilliant graphics and audio, like its predecessor. If you want to play a 2-D Zelda though, play A Link to the Past.

Metroid                  9.0
The last of Nintendo's big three franchises to hit the Ambassador Program is the original Metroid. Now unlike the original Zelda, I do enjoy Metroid just as much as its more modern entries. I love the controls, visuals, music, story, and gameplay. There's not much more to say about Metroid but honestly, it is the best full-length experience that the eShop has to offer. A must download!

Donkey Kong Jr.         8.0
While not as good as the original Donkey Kong, the sequel brings in a huge twist; you now play as DK Jr. and must rescue your father from Mario himself. The game is extremely difficult albeit simple, and provides players with their first adventure playing as their favorite ape... or at least his son.

Ice Climbers               8.0
I must say I enjoyed my first ever experience with Ice Climbers fairly well, however, I didn't like that you can half way jump through blocks and sometimes don't land on them even if they're there. It makes the game difficult as you will often fall and die thanks to the somewhat bad programming skills that went into making the game. Besides that it exceeded my expectations quite a bit.

Balloon Fight              9.0
Another game that I had never played, Balloon Fight managed to surprise me in every way. The graphics look great, the controls work well, and the gameplay is absolutely fantastic. This is easily one of the best games on the Ambassador Games made better by the fact that most have probably never played it. Plus its two players!

Wrecking Crew          4.0
Overall, this was my second to last favorite game of the ten. I didn't get the point in it at all, you just climb ladders and knock down doors. It is absolutely pointless and even has fairly poor graphics and audio. Unless you really want to try the game, don't bother downloading it.

NES Open Tournament Golf            2.0
This is it, my absolute least favorite Ambassador game. It's basically a turn based golf game where you play as Mario and choose between different setting for your swing, then you have to try to hit the ball with your club and make it in the flag. The one problem is that the mechanic doesn't work, its pointless, stupid, and by far the worst game on the Ambassador Program. Don't bother with it.

Yoshi             9.0
In all honesty, I think that this was my overall favorite game of the ten. For one, I've never played it before, for two, it's like a better version of Tetris, and for three, its just dang awesome. The game is basically a Mario version of Tetris where you swap out columns of Nintendo characters in order to get them to match up. It's addicting, amazing, and an absolute blast. There's not much else to say, so go download it NOW!!!

IMPORTANT NOTE: Yes, I know my reviews are going to cause some uproar from fans. Yoshi is an amazing game and is normally extremely underrated. In my opinion it deserves the score that it received. If you don't think so that's your opinion and I respect it, but I'm settles on my final score, so deal with it.

So here are the final scores below, hope you agree with them. Now I'm off to play more Yoshi and Metroid, and to delete NES Open Tournament Golf off my shiny 3DS system. Time to take out the garbage. :)

Game Name                               Score
Super Mario Bros.                      9.0
The Legend of Zelda                   8.5
Zelda II: Adventure of Link         7.0
Metroid                                      9.0
Donkey Kong Jr.                        8.0
Ice Climbers                               8.0
Balloon Fight                              9.0
Wrecking Crew                          4.0
NES Open Tournament Golf       2.0
Yoshi                                          9.0
Average Score                           7.5 (rounded to the nearest half)

No comments:

Post a Comment